Data structure :
It is used for the storage of data in computer so that data can be used efficiently. For the organization of mathematical and logical concepts data structure provides a methodology. With the proper selection of data structure you can also get efficient algorithm. With very few resources like memory space and time critical operations can be carried out with a well designed data structure. The major use of data structure is its implementation in the programming language.
Moreover, there are different kinds of data structures and they have different uses. Some data structures are used for specialized tasks like B-trees are used for the implementation of databases .
A data structure is a way of storing data in a computer so that it can be used efficiently. Often a carefully chosen data structure will allow the most efficient algorithm to be used. The choice of the data structure often begins from the choice of an abstract data type. A well-designed data structure allows a variety of critical operations to be performed, using as few resources, both execution time and memory space, as possible. Data structures are implemented by a programming language as data types and the references and operations they provide.
“Collection of data elements organized in a specified manner and a set of functions to store, retrieve and manipulate the individual data elements.”
“The way of representing data internally in the memory is called data structure” Or “A data structure is a way of store data in a computer so that it can be used efficiently”
A data structure is a specialized format for organizing and storing data. General data structure types include the array, the file, the record, the table, the tree, and so on. Any data structure is designed to organize data to suit a specific purpose so that it can be accessed and worked with in appropriate ways. In computer programming, a data structure may be selected or designed to store data for the purpose of working on it with various algorithms.
We use data structure because without it, the use and storage of data would be impossible. Whenever you view or process data on a computer system, there is always a data structure behind what you are doing. Different types of data structures are used for varying kinds of data – for instance, word documents will have a different data structure than spreadsheets.Data structuresact as the fundamental foundations of all computer software processes.
Use Of Data Structures
- Data structures have a number of great advantages, including those listed below:
- Data structures allow information to be securely stored on a computer system. Most data structures require only a small proportion of a computer’s memory capacity. Storing data is convenient and allows it to be accessed at any time. It is also impossible to lose the information, as you might if it was on paper.
- Data structures provide you with the capacity to use and process your data on a software system. For instance, if you wished to log your work hours and produce a report, you could do so on a computer through an automated process. This process would make wide use of data structures.
- Data structures make all processes involving them very quick.
- On the other hand, data structures do have some disadvantages
- To alter data structures, you must be a very advanced IT technician with a vast experience base. It is almost impossible to change most data structures.
- If you have a problem relating to data structures, it is highly unlikely you will be able to solve it without the expertise of a professional.
Example: Suppose you are hired to create a database of names with all company’s management and employees. You can make a list (is a data structure). You can also make a tree (too a data structure).